Chamomile is best known as a soothing and relaxing tea, but it can also benefit your skin. The Spa at Park Hyatt Doha sponsors OHLALA’s DIY beauty tip for June.
When ingested, chamomile helps to calm digestive problems, relieve cramps and improve sleep. The extracts of its flowers contain volatile oils and flavonoids that have anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties and can be great if added to your skincare routine.
These medicinal features can treat acne and speed up healing. Chamomile also fights bacteria without changing the skin’s PH. And, just as the tea version calms us from the inside, chamomile extract can calm our skin from the outside. There are a few ways to extract the oils from the flowers. You can use distilled water to make herbal tea infusions and use the water for toners, lotions and creams. Or you can infuse the flowers in light cosmetic oils and use them to apply on your lips or make lotions. If your skin is sensitive, chamomile is the right herb for you.
Another two key ingredients in this recipe are apple cider vinegar and honey. The vinegar can naturally exfoliate your skin, making it brighter and even, while honey adds hydration.
Calming Chamomile Facial Toner
What you’ll need:
1 cup distilled water
4 tbsp dried chamomile flowers or 2 chamomile tea bags
1 tsp honey
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
How to make and apply it:
1. Warm the water. Remove it from the heat source and add the chamomile flowers (or tea bags) directly to the warm water. Let the tea steep for five to 10 minutes until it reaches a golden colour.
2. Use a mesh sieve to strain the chamomile flowers or remove the tea bags from the liquid and discard them.
3. In a glass bottle with a lid, combine the honey and apple cider vinegar and shake the bottle well until the ingredients are combined.
4. Add the infused water and shake well again. Store this toner in the fridge.
5. After washing your face with a cleanser, apply the toner on a cotton ball/pad and then onto your complexion. Finish the beauty process with a moisturiser. It’s best to use this toner in the evening before bed.
For more information, please call 4009 1234.