Miss Ohlala offers some ideas on how to always look on the brighter side of life.
When looking for the meaning of well-being, you find the following description: it’s the state of being comfortable, healthy or happy. This means that it goes beyond physical health. It is grander than the simple act of eating well and exercising. It involves maintaining good mental health, having the right tools to control stress and anxiety and living an everyday life in which you feel safe and which is overall enjoyable.
Pursuing a balanced lifestyle is everyone’s goal and not always the most achievable one. The truth is that some days will be better than others. However, seeing the bright side of things, despite sounding like a cliché, will help you endure everyday obstacles. According to the NHS website (www.nhs.uk) there are five steps to improve well-being and mental health:
- Connect with other people. Be they family members, friends or colleagues. You can even participate in volunteering projects; helping others will give you a sense of belonging and self-worth.
- Be physically active. It doesn’t mean you have to hit the gym five times a week, but you can walk your dog, participate in a dance group or even challenge yourself and start running.
- Learn new skills. Acquiring new knowledge boosts your selfconfidence and helps you build a sense of purpose.
- Give to others. Not only by donating money or volunteering but also by giving attention or complimenting friends and strangers, acknowledging them will change their day and yours.
- Pay attention to the present moment. Mindfulness can help you enjoy your life and understand yourself. Be here, live now!